Miss Amber May

Digital Approaches to Fine Art

Matt Siber

September 27th, 2013

Matt Siber is a gallery artist from Brookline,MA and a professor at Columbia College Chicago and The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Siber specializes in photography, digital imaging, sculpture, video, and installation. He works primarily with forms of advertisement, as seen by his billboard vinyls and logo projects, and he turns them away from their original disclosures to create his own distinct messages. His art is less about the content of the  advertisements and more about their “scale and materiality.” For example, in his billboard vinyls he explains that his goal was to “disarm the messaging system” and focus on the ad’s aesthetic structure. He transforms the billboard from a lackluster two-dimensional framework to a three-dimensional, interactive form with a visual appeal through scale and form (the drapery appearance.) By pulling away from the fact that it’s a flat billboard ad, he’s able to use these new features to tell different messages about the structure itself. Siber replicates this concept in his other project called Floating Logos where he digitally removes the support systems of various signs. He explains that the project aims to make the audience focus on the structures they take for granted every day; “to draw attention to this often overlooked form of advertising.”

I found his billboard vinyls to be strangely interesting. I mean, the public sees billboards every day, but never up close, so by having them directly in front of us in such an inviting  manner, it’s like we’re finally able to touch what is usually out of our reach. I also enjoyed his floating logo series because he finds a way to make common signage aesthetically pleasing. The one below was my favorite because of the way it puts Jesus on an invisible, floating pedestal, making an allusion to his omnipotence reigning literally over the Earth. I think Siber, as with the rest of the artist we’ve studied so far, creates these images to further challenge what we know as “art” by having his elements be everyday objects.